Re: 3Q: Rebuilding Suspension...

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: 3Q: Rebuilding Suspension...
From: Tim Nagy <nagy@duq.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:09:58 -0500

Skye Poier wrote:

> Thanks, I had a suspicion the BFH approach would be needed ;)  Still don't
> understand what its hung up on though - the bottom bolt sure, it seizes
> to the distance tube, but the upper isn't against any metal.  Perhaps
> the upper trunnion bush has expanded and is catching the threads of the
> pin or something, and the play in the shock lever arms means my hammer
> blows aren't 100% effective.  The pilot hole for the punch is a great
> idea, thanks.

Mine hung up on the metal sleeve in the fulcrum bearing(upper
trunion)...BFH!  I rested the shock arm on a piece of 4x4 wood so as not
to damage shock.  Be careful of SPRING!  I put two super-heavy duty wire
"zip" ties around the shock-arm to the spring pan, held fine, then used
a big pipe clamp to release the tension.

> Of course, to remove the assembly I will have to disconnect the brake hose
> (just bled the brakes) and disconnect the tie rod balljoint (and my tre
> separator hasn't arrived yet).

Hold a hammer head against one side of the steering lever where the tie
rod goes though, and BFH the other side once or twice, should pop right
out, mine did!

Can't wait to see it all painted and pretty! Well, at this point, just
the front suspension!  As for now, in boxes!

Have Fun!

Tim