Re: 3Q: Rebuilding Suspension...

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: 3Q: Rebuilding Suspension...
From: Vallely <vallely@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:19:48 -0500

> First, I am having trouble getting the upper trunnion pin out on one side.
> On the other side, I simply hit the end of the pin with a hammer and it
> popped out the other side.  On this side however, I can only move it
> about 1 mm (and I've been hitting it pretty hard).  From the diagrams
> I can't see what could be hanging it up.  The trunnion rotates freely about
> it!  Any ideas?  I've also tried hammering a screwdriver under the pin
> head and using a BF C-clamp to press it out to no avail.

Skye--
Had the same trouble.
Seems as I recall that the bushing or distancing tube, both being
concenetric around the trunion bolt, wore enough to cock it off center.
The fix: A bolt joins the two shock absorber arms about midway along
their length. Loosen it enough to spread the arms so you can get a
cut-off disk in there and sever the trunion pin. You may have to cut
halfway, turn the pin and do the rest. If you don't have an angle
grinder, now's your excuse.  I'm told a hacksaw blade will cut it also,
but it'll ruin your mood.
I read about this tip on a website somewhere but can't remember where.
Worked for me.
Good luck.
John V.
'59 mga