RE: Engine Removal

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine Removal
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:47:59 -0700
Neil, I had the same problem.  I have a tip for the future and a suggestion for
now.

In the future use a six point socket, not a 12 point socket (yes, you need a
3/4" socket).  I ground off the open end of the socket so it is VERY flat.
These bolts have a shallow head, you need your socket to be able to get real
"close" to the flywheel and completely "grasp" the bolt.  If you do this I am
sure you won't have a problem in the future.

Before I used this technique I encountered the same problem you have, I too
asked the list what to do.  I got several suggestions, all of which would work.
The most common was to use a cold chisel and "pop" the head off.  I tried that,
either my hammer wasn't big enough, or I haven't mastered the technique.  The
method that worked successfully for me was to drill the head off.  I just took a
drill about the size of the bolt, maybe about 3/8".  I drilled just into the
center of the head of the bolt, not into the shaft of the bolt.  I hit the head
with a hammer and chisel and it popped off.  I could then remove the remaining
part of the bolt with my fingers.

Good luck.

Larry Hoy
http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com/

> As I was intending on putting the engine on a stand I removed the clutch, and
then tried to remove the bolts holding the flywheel.   > Hmm!! I got all bar one
out, this little sucker rounded after the *first* attempt!! I'm using a 3/4"
socket for this, a 11/16" is too small, > so I *think* I have the right size -
unless these bolts are special.. Anyway, how on earth can I remove this last
bolt?  A socket,      > spanner, pipe extension etc won't move it, it's too
rounded now anyway. Do I go buy an angle grinder and try to cut it off or do I
try > and drill the bugger out? Ideas?