Rear Axle removal

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Axle removal
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:24:04 -0800
Help!!!

     Looks as if I may be going to try to swap the rear axles of the new B and
the BfromHell with the possibility still there for acquiring another axle.

     HOwever, after studying Haynes and Bentley, I'm befuddled.  Haynes'
procedure states that one is to "... Remove the road wheels..."  The axle
assembly is supported by a trolley jack and, after things are disconnected,
"...Lower the jack and remove the assembly from under the car."
      Bentley's procedure, after the mandatory disconnections are completed,
ends with "... Lower the axle support until the axle and spring assembly rests
on the road wheels ... roll the assembly from beneath the car".

     Which is better, wheels on or wheels off?  I'm of the impression that the
leaf spring assembly is to remain attached to the axle and is to come out with
it as Bemtley says.  Is that correct even for Haynes' procedure?  If so, why
does Haynes say to "...Unscrew the U-bolt nuts..."?

Are there better directions available?  All help is truly appreciated.

Bud Krueger
52TD
77MGB x2