Two Dumb 'B Things

To: "MG List" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Two Dumb 'B Things
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 19:26:42 -0500
Hello all,
    My MGB is doing quite well, thanks.  All the teachers at the
school where I'm student teaching know me not by Mr. Lishego, but as
"The guy who drives that noisy little roadster."  They all like it,
don't get me wrong, but it is noisy.
    It has developed two stupid little problems that don't affect
the way the car runs, but they do affect my enjoyment of the
vehicle.  First and foremost, the windshield fogs up on the INSIDE
on chilly mornings.  I've tried sealing the car up tightly with no
luck, and when I leave a vent window open I only see a marginal
decrease in fog.  It's no fun wiping off the inside of your windows
in the morning.  Does anyone else with an outside car have this
problem?  Do you think Rain-X would help?
    The other problem only shows itself at 60 mph or higher.  It's a
noise that sounds like a quarter bouncing around on a metal plate
somewhere in the vicinity of the glovebox, but it's an intermittent
noise.  It doesn't show up when I hit bumps or potholes, and it
doesn't seem to depend on rpm - in any gear other than fourth I
don't hear it.  I've emptied my glove box, checked my ashtray,
checked the e-brake handle and put a passenger in the seat to see if
the noise went away.  It didn't, so I had my friend drive while I
laid upside down in the passenger footwell.  I could feel the
vibration in several areas, but I could see nothing loose.  I popped
the engine bay and couldn't find anything wrong in there either.
    If you have any ideas of what these problems could be from and
how I'd fix them, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thanks for any help
you can give me - that silly quarter sound drives me nuts and you
can hear it with the top down!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/