Heater blower motor

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater blower motor
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:02:22 -0800
Hi,

yesterday after reassembling the heater unit I had a healthy blast of warm
air.  Today the air is warm but not exactly blasting.  I think I have an
intermittent problem with the blower motor.  I get the screaming banshee
effect when I turn it on, but that goes away eventually, so I'm used to it.

I suspect either slippage between the motor shaft and the fan, or the
bearings are worn and sometimes fall into a good configuration with little
resistance (good airflow) or into a bad configuration with some binding (bad
airflow).

Today's question is: there are two nuts on the top side of the motor body
(on the face next to the fan.  There are two blank heads on the bottom face
of the motor body (on the face that is in the engine bay).  If I undo the
two nuts at the top I assume the motor will come apart and I can, ahem,
examine it.  If I do this however am I going to be all sad when all the
parts fall out and roll into inaccessible corners of the workshop?

I am hoping to make it all work perfectly as it was yesterday which made me
feel sooo good (not to mention sooo warm).  Can't get the %#$@* heater flap
control back in the dash though...

Andy
--