Re: Transmission Oil Change 77B

To: mowog77@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Transmission Oil Change 77B
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:05:28 EST
Eric,
  Changing the rack oil will not be as satisfying as changing
transmission oil, but here is I how I went about doing it on the car.
   Disconnect one boot from the rack. Catch the oil that flows out in a
can. Turn the wheels left right left right a few times to pump out as
much oil as you are able.
  Reconnect the boot.
 From around the damper pad assembly, carefully clean away all dirt and
grit.  Remove the plate, the shims, and all the pieces inside.
  Having checked in the manual to see how much oil goes into the rack,
subtract the amount you drained from that figure to caculate the amount
you are going to put back in.  Pour in the measured amount.
  Careful not to over fill, as the boots cannot contract if they are
filled with oil. All you need in the rack is enough to keep the gears
wet. The oil is viscous and does not flow back and forth quickly, so you
can't count on it to move away from the boot that is being compressed.
Bob

On Mon, 01 Feb 1999 09:09:12 PST "Erik Brzoska" <mowog77@hotmail.com>
writes:
>Well, first of all I would like to thank everyone for their various
>suggestions. And the pump idea was my next alternative if this didn't
>work, but it did.
>
>I took the 3/4" bottom plug out and drained the tranny oil. It was not
>
>too dirty for being at least 6 years old!
>
>Then I took a 4 foot section of 1/2" inside diameter clear plastic
>tubing and led that into the side tranny hole. However, the tubing was
>
>too big for the hole because the outside diameter was 3/4".
>So I took a 5/8" o.d.(1/2") copper pipe elbow and put that int the
>tubing and then into the tranny hole.
>
>At the other end of the tubing that came up through the engine bay, my
>
>buddy poured the 20W50 into the funnel 1 quart at a time!
>
>It took us about 20 minutes to do everything and now it is done!
>
>the only fluid I haven't changed is the steering rack, any tips?
>
>TIA
>Erik.

Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use
from Juno, the world's second largest online service.
Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html.