Re: That MG Red again

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: That MG Red again
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 09:13:04 -0800
A general observation, if I may..............

Neil, while the paint and primer on your engine may, indeed, be original, I
think that everyone should remember that all MGBs have now been around for
at least 18 years. As such, just because you find certain colors under the
grease and muck doesn't necessarily mean they are original. (Just as finding
a certain engine in your car doesn't meant it started its life there!)

I've been rebuilding engines professionally since the mid 70s. I always have
them hot-tanked which means that every trace of original paint is removed
chemically. I then prime and paint the rebuilt engine after it's back
together. Those that I did many years ago are doubtless greasy again and
some of them may be needing another rebuild by now. Will anyone drawing
conclusions as to correct colors from what I used be correct or be further
clouding the issue if they believe they have discovered an original
combination?

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center