stuck wire wheel

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: stuck wire wheel
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:00:50 -0500
Anybody have a secret trick for removing a stuck wire wheel from an LBC?
The knock off comes off okay, but the right rear wheel will not budge from
the spline (rusted probably because the car sat immobile in an airplane
hangar for 15 years.  I've tried jacking that side of the car up as high as
I can and soaked it with rust penetrating spray hoping that the jacked up
angle would cause the spray to soak down into the spline.  I grasp the wheel
with both hands, one at 3 o'clock and the other at 9 o'clock, and try to
rock it until I fear the car will come off the jacks.  I turn the wheel
periodically so that I'm not always pulling on the same spot. Still nothing.
Won't budge.  Any ideas? Further, if I do get it off, how do you prevent
this from happening again?  Thanks, Greg Hutmacher