Re: stupid oil change question

Subject: Re: stupid oil change question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:18:24
At 12:12 PM 2/13/99 -0800, jmc wrote:
>.... while changing the oil, I forgot to fill the new (spin on) filter
before I screwed it to the block. .... I removed the plugs and spun the
engine on the starter until there was oil pressure. .... took the car for a
spin around the block. Afterward, when I pulled the dip stick to check the
oil level, I saw all sorts of tiny bubbles (almost like a foam) in the oil
on the stick. ....

Joseph,

I would hope this is not the case, but, if you overfill the crankcase with
oil the crankshaft will dip into the oil and froth it up like whipped
cream.  Air bubbles make a lousy lubricant in the crankshaft bearings.

Just a thought,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude