Not such a stupid oil change question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Not such a stupid oil change question
From: don <brgmgb@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 16:29:36 -0800 (PST)
It makes perfect sense to fill the canister with oil when changing oil.  You
gain a few seconds of oil pressure that you would not otherwise have.  It's
similar to the principal of a pre-oiler.  It helps to save your engine from
unnecessary wear.

Don Scott

At 06:10 PM 2/13/99 EST, you wrote:
>Joseph,
>I Personally don't know any professional automotive technicians that pre fill
>oil filters.  Furthermore, I know of no car maker that recommends this
>procedure.
>So as long as the bubbles are air, and you did not overfill the crankcase you
>are good to go.
>Rick Ewald
>67 MGB
>
>In a message dated 2/13/99 12:13:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>jmc987@earthlink.net writes:
>
>> This morning, while changing the oil, I forgot to fill the new (spin on)
>>  filter before I screwed it to the block. I didn't realize my error until
>>  after I filled the crankcase. So, as usual, I removed the plugs and spun
>>  the engine on the starter until there was oil pressure. I replaced the
>>  plugs, started the engine and took the car for a spin around the block.
>>  Afterward, when I pulled the dip stick to check the oil level, I saw all
>>  sorts of tiny bubbles (almost like a foam) in the oil on the stick. I
>>  guess that's what happened to the air that was trapped inside the filter.
>>  This isn't a problem, is it?  I assume that over time all the air will
>>  find its way out. Am I correct?  See I said it was a stupid question.
>>  Thanks in advance.
>>
>>  Joseph
>>  67 B Roadster

RetroMobilia w/ original advertising artwork featuring:
    Riley 1.5, '62 Buick, '91 Miata Special Edition, & MG TF, & 215 V8
Check it out:
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2508/