Re: 56K Line Speed?-Reply

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@kih.net>, "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: 56K Line Speed?-Reply
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:20:28 -0500
On 2/14/99 8:15 AM so and so (Mike Razor) said. (And I quote:)

>I am glad that someone brought this up!  I am very comfortable asking MG
>people anything, of course we do have our own net nazis.
> anyway, my slow modem speed has impeded my ability to do many things on
>the net.  I have a 56k modem and the best I can do is 28000bps.  I
>emailed my IPS and they have never responded, maybe it is still in
>transit since my modem or their service is so slow.  My question is:
>should I not at least do better than 28000?  It is kind of like the
>timing being off on the MGA and not letting it run as fast as it should.
>(this may satisfy the net nazis, since this is off topic).
>THANKS!
>MIKE R
>
>Mike Lishego wrote:
>
>> I believe that I read somewhere that due to US Gov. regulations,
>> modem speeds can only reach 52 or 53k.  If I'm wrong, someone will
>> correct me, but I was in the market for a new modem and this came up
>> in several ads.
>>
>> Michael S. Lishego
>> http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/index.htm

Most likely your ISP only has 28.8 Modems on the number you dial into.
Instead of emailing them call tech support. Or switch ISP's make sure to
look for one that has 56K connections advertised. And call tech support
first.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?