Re: Valve stem seals

To: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: Valve stem seals
From: Carl Elliott <grunt2@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:58:08 -0500
I just disassembled a head that had rubber seals inside the collars under the
retainers. Looked like wide black rubber bands. The head came off a 79 B.  On
the head bolts, Retorqueing, I have done a lot of heads and the ones that
require retorqueing are usally done right after they are installed.
Torque, Loosed retorque. This is to seat the head gasket. On the British engines
I have done I never saw a reference to retorqueing nor have I had a problem on
the ones I have done. Although its a good Idea and do it on my own after a few
hundred miles. I have just put a new head on my B,
and ran it to set it up. Now thinking about it I will retorque it before the
next start up, Its a good idea . Carl E.