Re: Valve Stem Seals

To: "frank krajewski" <frankk@intap.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Stem Seals
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:09:18 -0800
Frank.........

All good head gasket sets include these little O-rings because they are the
only valve stem seal the factory ever thought necessary on these engines.

However, you are not quite right (at least as I understand your description)
about what one is supposed to do with them. The assembly procedure is as
follows:

Lube the valve stem and install the valve in its guide. Fit the spring/s and
any seating washers against the head. Place the retainer on top of the
spring/s and compress with your valve spring compressor. Then slip the
O-ring over the valve stem and push it to the bottom of the retainer.
Install the two collets, release the compressor, move on to the next valve.

As I explained last week, the O-ring is to seal the bottom of the retainer
against the valve stem to stop oil which puddles on top of the retainer from
running down the valve.

Lawrie