Re: Engine Assy and the springs she sits on

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Assy and the springs she sits on
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:47:51 -0800
john fagerlund wrote:

> I'm in the process of assembling my engine, starting with my freshly
> machined block, and I was wondering what I should do to ensure success.  I
> spent a tidy sum on the machine work, pistons, cam grind etc. and want to
> avoid rookie mistakes.  I've caressed the exterior, re-valved the head and
> played with the dual carbs, but I'm still an engine-build virgin.

        The first part of a successful rebuild is cleanliness. Have plenty of
rags handy and some hand cleaner. You don't want to get dirt and grit in
the fresh bearing surfaces.

        Check off the steps in the manual as you go along.

        Lubricate everything with assembly lube.

        Check the bearing clearances with plastigage. This doubles the time it
takes, but I feel better knowing it's correct.

        Take your time and double check everything.

        Drink your beer after you are done with your work session.

        Make sure you install the correct oil pump gasket.

        Check out John Twist's tips on head gasketing. I didn't do this and
mine doesn't leak, but maybe I was lucky.

        Make sure the battery is fully charged.

>When all
> the parts are in, how should it feel when I crank her by hand?  Loose,
> tight or oh-my-gawd, I felt something pop.

        It will be intermittently tight, then loose as you compress the gas in
each cylinder. It should not mechanically bind or get stuck.

> I am also in process of rebuilding the front suspension.  I've pulled the
> front cross member out and removed all the suspension and steering parts.
> I'll have the cross member powder coated and install new bushings, hubs,
> barakes and rebuilt king pin assys.  I have a Brit-tek catlog with front
> suspension rebuild kits that seem like a pretty good deal.  I'm still
> pretty busy these days and am willing to spend the extra $ for the package.
>  Any advice, is it a good one, should I look elsewhere or just spend the
> time to do it right myself because I can't trust anybody?

        Brit-tek has been a very reliable vendor for me, though I haven't tried
any of their suspension kits. They sure are tempting though.

> I'm told I have an illness of some sort.

        Me too. Better learn to live with it. It only gets worse with age and
gets especially bad in retirement.

        Best Regards,
        Dave Ambrose