Re: What year B??

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What year B??
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:21:51 -0600
Allen:

At risk of extending this thread well past its' operational lifetime,
the Swedish car (and owner) may well have been a victim of a chassis
plate swap.  It's easy enough to do with the screw-on chassis number and
body number plates.  In this case, a later chassis number plate may have
ended up on an earlier body shell for any number of reasons, good and
bad.  I would lean toward that scenario over the 'anomalous' body shell
scenario, because I guess that I'm just a cynic at heart.

I have to shamefully admit that I did that once (way back in the '70s)
in order to get one of my cars to its' new home located several hours
away.  Luckily for me, both cars were BRG.  At least I put the proper
plates back on the cars when I was done.

Dave Q.

>From Allen Bachelder:
Dave -
I'm more than inclined to agree with you.  The Swedish guy did send me a
picture of his car - which doesn't really prove anything as it shows
neither the pull-handles nor the VIN.  I can't imagine why he would want
go to the trouble of sending me a picture were it not the truth, but my
guess was that the car was an anomoly. Could it have been a shell that
got
held up at Pressed Steel for some rectification, arriving at Abingdon
long
after 57986 and consigned to a market not requiring anti-burst door
latches?<