Re: Gas Guage

To: "Tom Wagner" <twagner@pdq.net>,
Subject: Re: Gas Guage
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:42:58 -0000
When the fault is apparent:

Have you got voltage (probably switching between 12v and ground a couple of
times a second) on the green/black?  If so ground it briefly, the gauge
should move smartly towards F.

If not, check the voltage on the light-green/green on the gauge.  If it is
not there check on the same wire on the stabiliser.  If its not there check
on the green of the stabiliser.  If it is there the stabilser is faulty, if
it isn't check the green circuit back to the No. 3 fuse.

If ther was voltage on the light-green/green of the gauge but not the
green/black, or if it is but grounding it didn't move the gauge, then the
gauge is faulty.

If the stabilser and the gauge are OK check for voltage and then ground the
green black on the tank transmitter.  If there is no voltage, if if there is
but grounding it doesn't move the gauge, then the wiring back to the gauge
is faulty.

Finally connect a known good ground to the body of the tank sender.  If the
gauge moves now the sender ground is bad.  If it still doesn't move then the
tank sender is bad.  Or you have no fuel.

PaulH.