Rear Axle Bearings

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Axle Bearings
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:01:50 -0800
List Folks,

I just replaced the rear axle bearings on my Mk I MGB (disk wheels), and
had a question about the procedure shown in the manual.

The manual calls for the bearings to be pressed into the hub so that when
the spacer is placed on the bearing there is a clearance of .001 to .004
inch between the spacer and the face of the hub.  My machinist could not
get the new bearings (SKF, Moss Motors supplied) in any further than .005
inch on one side and .007 on the other.  The spacers were both approx. .185
inch thick.  According to most of the current catalogs I've seen, the
replacement spacers come in only one thickness / part number.  My machinist
wasn't  equipped to mill off the necessary material to bring it into spec.

So here's the question---Are there any dire problems with being a little
off on this?  Oil leaks, bearing side load, etc.  I'm tempted to call John
Twist during his Tech Hour...

Chris Attias
'64 MGB