Re: Interesting Find in our car

To: "Mike Brinker" <mikebrinker@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Interesting Find in our car
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 20:19:59 -0800 (PST)
At 05:35 PM 3/5/99 PST, you wrote:
>David,
>Many British Leyland service centers used plastic and or metal plates
>that were embossed.  These plates were used as a registration of sorts
>when the owner brought the car in for service.  I own a Triumph that had
>a blue vinyl pouch.  The blue pouch held, the owners manual, any
>warranty info, a service book and a plastic card that was embossed.  The
>card/plate was taken and placed in a credit card type machine that took
>an impression on to the work order.  Pretty cool eh?  Not bad for a
>triumph guy too.

Not TOO bad (for a lesser marque)

When I bought my `76 B new it too came with a blue vinyl binder that had the
owners manual, warranty and service info and all the other new car clap-trap
stuff.  In the inside front cover were two credit card sized spaces.  One
was occupied by a similar metal embossed card which carried my name and a
bunch of other stuff which, at the time, meant nothing to me.   Every time
the car was serviced this card was used to imprint the work order so, I
assume, BL new who to pay for what warranty work.  The binder may still be
around here somewhere but the ID card and the car are both long gone.

Ross   MacPherson
TC-3528 , `66 BGT, NEMGT - #11849
Surrey, BC, Canada