Lean at cruise

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lean at cruise
From: "Eric Kutzli" <ekutzli@netins.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:02:41 -0600
Hello everyone,
     New to the list but have owned my 1974 B since 1994 and spent three
years in restoration. Any info appreciated on a problem that shows up at
cruising speed ( between about 50 and 60) The engine seems to miss on light
throttle going up hills. Under hard acceleration no problem, but to just
hold constant speed ascending a grade with gentle increase in throttle the
engine misses. One day just as a test I pulled the choke out to richen up
the mixture and the miss dissapeared. OK, so this suggests engine is running
lean.
     I checked vacuum advance, timing, and HIF carbs. Smog pump and
associated technicalities were all removed by previous owner. I looked and
poppet valves in the butterflies are soldered shut. Idle is a little lumpy,
and seems hard to get idle mixture from running too rich ( according to
colortune) Ignition seems to be hot enough ( according to the oscilloscope).

     The final culprit is the carbs. The car has 68,000 mi and engine was
rebuilt 2,000 mi ago, but carbs were not. I have tried the old spray em with
something and see if the idle changes but can't seem to find the problem.
Idle is too rich and cruise is too lean. So if the problem is the carbs,
several questions come along  A. to replace or rebuild. Is new better? Is
rebuild or just new needles only delaying the inevitable?  B. SU or Weber? I
guess I really don't mind tinkering with the stock dual carbs. It's kind of
a badge of honor to keep them happy  C. HIF 4s or HS4s?   I have a set of
used HS4's on the shelf that could be rebuilt. Do HIFs have
problems/drawbacks in being designed for emissions compliance rather than
engine performance? Might even buy new HS4s?
     I'm going to need to decide, my wife actually asked me what I wanted
for my birthday coming up soon, and someday the Iowa snow will melt and I'm
going to want to drive.
     All two cent suggestions considered at current market value.
Thanks everyone,

Eric
ekutzli@netins.net
1974 MGB "Maggie"
Now  Glacier White - just couldn't talk myself into respraying the original
Citron...