Re: Why Does Moss Sell Crap?

To: doddk@mossmotors.com, WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Why Does Moss Sell Crap?
From: Wildbil923@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:32:14 EST
What I'd like to see is two grades of quality in a parts catalog, sort of like
Sears used to do.  List the high quality part as "superior" and offer it at an
appropriate price.  List the lower quality parts as a "value line" and price
them accordingly.  I am sure there would be a market for both.  What is
frustrating is to not know whether the part you're ordering is as good as the
original or much inferior to the original.

A year or two ago I ordered the chrome tail light bases from a popular vendor,
the type commonly used on TR-3s, MG-As, Jaguar XK-140-150, Morgan, etc.  When
I tried to fit a bulb, I could not get it in.  After filing down the bulb's
bayonette pins I got the bulb in, but the copper contacts were so flimsy that
they would not spring back to contact a bulb after it was pushed in place.  I
took them back and the vendor accepted the return.  I was surprised, however,
that the vendor did not even bat an eye when I told him of the two incredible
quality problems.  I would have gladly paid more for an OEM quality unit.  I
ended up modifying my old broken Lucas tail light base by strapping a modern
bulb socket to it.  I am now very wary when I order parts.

I guess the bottom line is vendors should give customers a choice.  If they
wan the cheap stuff, it should be identified as such and offered to the
customer.  For customers who are willing to pay for quality, the choice should
be available and clearly identified as such.

Bill Wilkman