Re: Why Does Moss Sell Crap?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why Does Moss Sell Crap?
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:29:19 -0400
Wildbil923@aol.com writes:

>What I'd like to see is two grades of quality in a parts catalog, sort of like
>Sears used to do.  List the high quality part as "superior" and offer it at an
>appropriate price.  List the lower quality parts as a "value line" and price
>them accordingly...

Think about it... most of the major suppliers already do this with carpet
and upholstery sets... as well as body panels - as has already been
mentioned.  Perhaps some suppliers ought to experiment with a small line of
rechromed bumpers, etc - even at today's high costs, somebody like Moss or
VB should be able to negotiate some sort of volume pricing resulting in
lower cost than each of us can do individually.

Also, there are automotive spring shops out there that build duplicates of
any leaf spring.  I've had great success with one of these.  But I bought a
pair of replacement springs for my '76 from Moss almost 3 years ago.  Of
course it was over 2 years before I discovered that they jacked this RB (!)
car up about 2 inches more!  I have to say that even after all that time,
Moss cheerfully accepted the return and refunded my money.  But this cuts
into their profits - I would think a higher quality line would be more
profitable.  Again, they could contract with a spring shop cheaper than we
can individually.

The new HIF heatshield which I bought for my '73 GT rusted while waiting
for installation.  I sent it out, along with a lot of old stuff,  for new
cadmium plating before using it - thus doubling the cost.

 I just bought one of those beautiful wood/chrome steering wheels designed
to bolt on the '71 -'76 models.  Great feel and the quality looks
excellent.  But the horn button that came with it is improperly DESIGNED -
it cannot be used because if the opening for the horn bush is lined up
properly, the MG logo is turned 90 degrees.

I suppose, in defense of the likes of Moss and VB, that it's difficult
enough to find *any* suppliers  for these low-volume pieces, and no doubt,
they don't find out about these problems until *we* experience them.  '
Hope some suppliers are listening.

Just my long-winded 2¢-worth.

Allen

Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<