Re: installing carpet

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: installing carpet
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:41:16 -0800
Here is one thing I learned when installing carpet in my B...

This applies to cut-pile carpet (the kind you can see the ends of the
pieces of yarn) rather than loop carpet (the kind with round bumps but no
loose ends). Look at the back of each piece of carpet. I had a Moss kit,
and I noticed that some of the pieces had a "finished" back (some kind of
sealer over the whole thing), but on others you could see the actual back
of the twists of yarn exposed. Here's the killer: if you spread contact
cement on the back of these "exposed" pieces, you will need to place that
piece of carpet perfectly first try!  because if you try to pull it back
up to reposition it, the individual twists of yarn will stick to the
floor and pull through the backing material. Thus the section over the
wheel well hump behind the seat of my B looks moth-eaten. It is possible
that they no longer ship this kind of carpet, but I suggest you look out
for it.

Someone else on the list may have a better method for dealing with it...
Good luck! otherwise it was pretty straightforward.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB