Re: MGA hard to turn over

To: PROBINSO@flower-mound.com
Subject: Re: MGA hard to turn over
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 07:37:20 EST
Perry,
  It sounds to me that the engine is OK mechanically. You might
double-check this by leaving the sparkplugs in and turning it with the
starting handle.  You will feel resistance as the pistons individually
pump up compression, but should be able to lift the crank slowly past the
compression.  If you are unfamiliar with hand-starting, just do this test
with ignition off.
  That you are not using the car much is probably part of the problem.
I'm going to second those who suggest a bad ground in the system, but
also suggest that you should begin at the batteries. Disconnect, clean,
then apply a dab of No-Ox (or any other electrical anti-corrosive grease)
to each connection. Go through the entire system--the front end of the
large battery cable, the connections at the starter switch, the
connections on the starter, etc, including all the grounds. When that's
all done, reconnect the battery ground cable and have a go.
  Starters are easily tested at starter repair shops. They put the
starter on a machine called a "growler" and make them run. THat tests for
excess current consumption, dead fields and other electrical things.
  Good luck with this. It's worth a morning's effort to make the car
start easily.
Bob