Re: 72 midget, burning oil? Rebuild?

To: Palmer Family <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Subject: Re: 72 midget, burning oil? Rebuild?
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 23:56:03 -0500
Palmer Family wrote:

> My 72 midget (1275, ribcase) blew something a few weeks ago. ( I took the
> insurance off immediately and haven't driven it since)
>
> I was at a friends house and the car had been running 20 minutes before,
> when I restarted it blew clouds of white/blue oil smoke.  On my 20 mile
> drive home it burned 2 quarts of oil and pissed off many people who were
> follwing me within a mile!   (let's just say it was MORE blinding than a
> james bond smoke screen.)
>
> The compression is great, my question is, can I replace JUST the oil rings,
> since the engine was recently rebuilt with good compression?  While I'm at
> it I am going to do the valve guides.
>
> I think it's actually BOTH the guides and the rings, and I don't want to do
> one, and then have to do the other.

1. Pull the plugs and see which cylinders are oil fouled.  Is it possible
that a blown head gasket is dumping water into a cylinder and it is
turning to steam in the exhaust?

2. I suggest that you do a compression test.  This may help determine if it
is
the rings.  I would bet that the compression and oil rings would wear at
about
the same rate.  Not an expert, just a WAG.  If the compression numbers are
good
what would cause such a large failure in the oil rings but not in the
compression
rings?

In any event you might want to try to figure out what the problem is before
leaping
into working on a solution.  I have solved some wicked problems, only to
discover
what I fixed was not really the cause.  Just my 2 cents.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 sharpie