RE: Is it Dot 3 Break Fluid?

To: "'Steven R Schultz'" <SSchultz@worldnet.att.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Is it Dot 3 Break Fluid?
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:58:39 -0500
Steve,

Maybe I'm looking at this like an amateur, but:  DOT4 and older brake fluid
is known for stripping paint.  Silicone brake fluid does not.  Maybe you
could dribble some out of a bleeder, pour it onto a (painted) junk part and
watch how it reacts.

I'm guessing the purists will tell you to flush your brake lines with
alcohol and blow them out with forced air, then replace the rubber seals at
all four wheels.  And I suppose that brakes being the most important thing
on your car, it wouldn't be that bad an idea.  Not nearly as much fun
though, eh?

Matt Kulka
Huntersville, NC
'74 B - which came with a small bottle of DOT4 - and now that I've found the
dribble down the clutch pedal, I know why.