Re: DPO'd again.....

To: "MGList" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DPO'd again.....
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:40:51 -0800
Valve adjusting tips:

When I had a concrete driveway, I just put the car in gear and rocked it
back and forth. Don't need a 2nd party for this. Now that I have a dirt
patch, I just put a large socket on a 1/2 in. drive and reached in
carefully between the fan blades to the crankshaft bolt. With the 3-blade
fan it's simple. Don't know if more modern arrangements make this
impractical (talking B here -- I suppose a Midget might be a little
tighter for space). If your fanbelt is nice and tight, you can sometimes
turn it over just by turning the fan blades, but I wouldn't count on this.

Should mention that you want to take out the spark plugs to release
compression, unless you're into bodybuilding.

Easiest way is with a remote starter switch, available at any auto store.
If you have the separate starter solenoid mounted on the fender (I lost
mine when I switched to the later trans, & therefore starter), the big
rubber button does the trick (but you knew that).

Good luck

>When I adjusted the valves on my B I had it up on jack stands from some
>other work.  I just kept crawling underneath and turning the drive shaft
>with a pipe wrench.  It wasn't as cubersome as it might sound.  Of course
>you need someone up on top telling you how much to turn.

[snip]

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB