Re: Is it Dot 3 Break Fluid?

To: Steven R Schultz <SSchultz@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Is it Dot 3 Break Fluid?
From: cgmoog@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:18:58 -0500
Steven R Schultz wrote:
> My question is this.  How can you tell if the break system has silicone
> or Dot 3 break fluid.  I removed the Master Cylinder to have it sleeved
> and I am not sure which fluid is in the system.  Can you tell by looking
> at the fluid or any other way?

Bleed some fluid out and drop it into some DOT 3(use a small
container).  Silicone fwill not mix with the DOT 3 (if I remember
correctly it will float on top of the DOT 3, don't ask how I know).
Either way I'd make sure all of the old fluid is bled out.  If you're
replacing DOT 3 with DOT 3 or Silicone with Silicone a simple bleed will
do otherwise you must fmake sure all of the old fluid is removed.