Re: Old English White

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Old English White
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:55:42 -0800
Hmmm, I notice in my Moss MGB catalog that they sell 4 oz. cans of
"touch-up" paint in original colors, amd specifically suggest that this
may help "take the guesswork out of matching", in that you could compare
this small sample to an unfaded area of your car or the car in question.
So you could tell if this was the white you were looking for without
ordering a whole batch at the paint company (based on the number alone).
I'm looking at catalog MGB-09, p. 69. They list Old English White as
Ditzler 8177, as you mention.

Reading the footnotes carefully, it appears that there were two shades of
Old English White for MGB: '62-63, and 1964 on, with different Rinshed
Mason paint numbers. It does not give any indication as to which of these
is represented by the DuPont or Ditzler paint numbers, although one might
presume the later version. If so, then might one also assume that the
Jaguar XK color is the earlier version? Just a guess...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB