Re: MGC Brakes

To: mrazor@kih.net, mgs@autox.team.net, cw@sprintmail.com,
Subject: Re: MGC Brakes
From: MG4EVR@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:15:19 EST
Mike, yes you are right there should be no fluid on the vacuum side of the
boosters. You have internal leakage.  The white smoke you see is brake fluid
being burned in your engine.  I had the same problem. Brake fluid gushed from
my vacuum lines.  I tore the boosters apart and found they were leaking by the
piston rod inside.
I installed a rebuild kit and discovered that the servos were worn and leaking
by still, so I sent them to White Post Restorations where they were sleeved
and machined and had new rebuild kits installed.  They are now warrantied for
the life of the car, (thanks Billy)
And yes Mike you have the basics down as to how they work.  It's a simple
vacuum assist system, not unlike an electrical relay to boost electrical
power, the boosters give you an air pressure assist in braking.

Dave Stovall