MGC Brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGC Brakes
From: Douglas Russell <RusselD@ahp.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:35:15 -0500
Mike,

I'm on the digest so if this has already been covered ....

I had a similar problem a few years ago with my C Roadster.  The problem was a
failure in the 2 way junction box (not really sure what that thing's called).
Anyway, it's the junction that connects the brake lines from the servos to the
rest of the system.  In my car it is located down and back from the fuse box
(it kind of looks like a slightly larger version of a cable TV splitter
junction).  The problem was one of the valves in the junction lost the ghost
and the rear brakes virtually locked up - I could barely move the car.

The test I used to discover that the junction was bad was happen onto by
accident.  I replaced the junction with one from a B (ignorance can be
blissful).  This gave me either front brakes or rear brakes but not both.   In
discussing the problem with various folks, we concluded that the fault must be
with the original junction as I could get both the front and rear brakes
working - just not at the same time.  I eventually figured out that this must
be one of those parts that is not interchangeable with a B.  They pretty much
look the same but the B is a single valve while the C is two valve setup (dual
servos!).  It was a bugger to get as well, had to order one from England as
none was available more locally.

Hope this gives you a fruitful path to follow.

BTW, this was about 6 years ago and is all from my razor sharp memory
(translation: check it out with a knowledgeable source before you invest t&m).

Dr. Doug

 "Someone has to do something - it's just really pathetic that it has to be me"
- Jerry Garcia

                               !