Arachnids in MGs was Re: Surprise Guest

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Arachnids in MGs was Re: Surprise Guest
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:47:06 -0600
I guess since I grew up in in the South and Southwest, my views are a bit
different. I've ran into several rattlesnakes as a kid (and either triumphed
or run away fast), and got stung by a scorpion in my bed once, but never
have I had a reason to kill a spider -- except black widows.
LOOK before you reach into a dark area of a car that's been sitting a while,
or at least wear gloves. Same as you would the first time you go to the wood
pile for some wood that first chilly night. A spider won't bite you unless
you grab it with your bare hand and ask it to.
I'd rather have a big nasty spider in my old car than mice, roaches, ants,
or just about any other animal.
Tarantulas (wolf spiders?) are down-right gentle, and I've never heard of
one living in a car. Black Widows are another story. Don't mess with them,
don't spray them with bug-killer, just squish them or move them. I had one
residing on the left rear shock of my B when I began my rear suspension R/R.
That's here in Kentucky, folks. I bet a lot of folks never know they are
there. That primal fear you feel when you see something like that is built
in to your frail human organs for a reason, but don't freak out.

Dan
73 B

>Ohhh...  You mean a Tarantula.  I had no idea what a Wolf Spider was,
although is sounded mean.
>Glad it wasn't on my steering wheel.  How do you folks work on cars in
areas where there are deadly
>spiders?  I stick my hands in the strangest (read darkest) places when
working on the cars.  Easy
>prey for a spider or other deadly animal (like scorpions).
>
>I can read the orbituary now -> "Insisted on working on his cars himself.
The SO felt avenged."