Re: Arachnids in MGs was Re: Surprise Guest

To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Arachnids in MGs was Re: Surprise Guest
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:28:02 -0800 (PST)
Dear Dan,

Though I agree with most all you have to say, Wolf spiders and the
american tarantula are as different from eachother as are kangaroos and
killer whales. Therophosids (our North American "tarantulas") are mild
mannered, but wolf spiders (family lycosidae) can be aggressive and they
are FAST! As for black widows, they aren't too much of a threat unless you
give them some reason to bite you- like sticking your hand into their web
or threatening the egg mass of females. I used to collect black widows out
of my wood pile in Texas in the winter using thick gloves. Not one ever
attempted to bite me. Note however, they were pretty torpid in the winter
and weren't defending egg masses.

I've found black widows in Northern Indiana- South Bend to be exact and I
presume they could range further North of that.

And I could not agree more with your advice about looking before you reach
and shaking out your boots/shoes/slippers before putting them on. I've
known many people in Texas who found interesting things in their shoes
when they shook them out in the morning- scorpions and black widows were
common surprize guests.

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin, Assistant Research Entomologist
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521