Re: Arachnids in MGs was Re: Surprise Guest

To: dresden@tiac.net
Subject: Re: Arachnids in MGs was Re: Surprise Guest
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:38:39 -0800 (PST)
Dear Nevin,

I blathered on a bit about what I know in an earlier post. Now, I've had
black widows in the springs of my mg while I was restoring it- no problem,
since a broom or heavy gloved hand is sufficient defence. However, when I
saw Jurassic Park and imagined the threat of dinosaurs roaming around I
thought- hmmm, I see nothing here that couldn't be dealt with by a round
or two from a wetherby .454 magnum. And I would guess they'd taste like
chicken  ;-)

As for brown recluse- they can be a problem, but you are almost certain
not to see them- they are reclusive you see. Their range (although not
that of certain potentially dangerous relatives) is far more restrictive
than generally thought too. KS, OK, TX etc. are supposedly the center
portion of their range- though they can be transported out by other means.

Just follow the suggestions of others, and LOOK before you stick your paws
someplace. BTW, the majority of Black widow bites are reported by males
using outhouses where they were nipped on their naughty bits.

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin, Assistant Research Entomologist
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521