Re: VIR Racetrack

To: dhw@pinehurst.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VIR Racetrack
From: EricSsmc@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:59:44 EDT
Don & The List:
We took two MGB's and my two oldest kids to VIR for the open house they held
back in Jan. 99.  They are scheduled to hold the first race there this Sept.
Some grading had been done on the track in preparation for the repaving.

Although I was not very old when VIR closed, I remember hearing "older" guys
talk about "racing in Danville" and was always very curious as to where the
track was, what happened to it, etc.  So when I had the chance to visit, I
jumped!  It's kind of spooky to be there given the condition.  The original
track is still complete, and it is as though they turned off the lights, shut
the gates and walked away.  The buildings and structures were rather
dilapidated and overgrown (25 years) but everything was still there,
crossover bridge, pedestrian bridge, snack bar, pagoda, pits, etc.

I'm very interested in VIR since it's only 120 miles or so from my house
(Charlotte) and I;m threatening to building a 63 vintage racer this fall.  I
believe there is another open house coming up soon and I plan to attend.
Anybody want to caravan?

Eric Swanger
Huntersville, NC