Re: VIR Racetrack

To: EricSsmc@aol.com, dhw@pinehurst.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VIR Racetrack
From: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:26:10 EDT
In a message dated 4/11/99 11:24:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
EricSsmc@aol.com writes:

<< Although I was not very old when VIR closed, I remember hearing "older"
guys
 talk about "racing in Danville" and was always very curious as to where the
 track was, what happened to it, etc.  So when I had the chance to visit, I
 jumped!  It's kind of spooky to be there given the condition.  The original

Eric,
     You had to have been there in the mid 60's to really grasp what VIR was.
 You no doubt saw the infamous Oak Tree Bend,the very nasty hairpin opening
on to the back straight.
     I was there one magical day in 1966 with my scca club from
Charleston,wv.  The buzz in the pits was reaching  a roar..The GT $)'s are
here..FORD is HERE!!!..and they were..those Daytona cobras and GT40's were
here..and they sang a mighty song.  The sound of a 427 ci hot rod Ford
singing out of Oak Tree and shifting through 5 speeds down the straight was
pure music..I will never forget that sound.  and the stroll into the FORD
pits to see that great engine installed in the Cobra...well...........
     And the VIR is going to be again...I love it.
yours, H4(Howard)