Re: towing - dropping drive shaft?

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: towing - dropping drive shaft?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:52:03 EDT
In a message dated 4/15/99 4:08:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu writes:

<< >    I am moving some distance (550 miles) and am going to have to tow two
 >MG's.  I am going to move one early (verses have to move 4 cars at a
 >time) and was going to use a tow dolly (two front wheels off ground with
 >rear wheels on ground).  The reantal place told me I needed to drop the
 >drive shaft.  My question is WHY?  Why does the drive shaft need to be
 >dropped verses putting the thing in neutral?  For give my ignorance if
 >this is a dumb question.
 >Thanks
 >Don
 >OfcCobb@AOL.com or gcobb@spc.cc.tx.us

 AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH
 HHHHHHHHHHH

 Larry B. Macy, Ph.D. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd say that Larry has seen this thread before!

A long discussion has occurred on the lists over the reason for disconnecting
the drive shaft for towing.  I think to quickly sum it up, you should
disconnect it if you want to be absolutely sure of not causing any damage to
the trans.

Many people have towed great distances without disconnecting and have
experienced no problems.  Others have destroyed trannys on short tows.

It's your car, but remember, "Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances!"

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget (towed 80 miles with tranny connected, no damage)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (never towed)