'79 B flasher question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '79 B flasher question
From: thomas.misener@us.pwcglobal.com
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:22:23 -0700
Hello,

I am new to the list and new to MG ownership.  I've had my '79 B (U.S) for
about three weeks, and while I have been busily, almost gleefully,
addressing minor problems with the brakes, choke, timing, top, etc., I have
been driven to near frustration by the most simple task.

The turn signals on the car do not work.  I have assumed from the beginning
that I only need replace the flasher.  But, where is it?   According to the
manuals I have looked at, it could be behind the dash, or in the engine
compartment.  I have looked at a wiring diagram, and it suggests that there
is only one for both signals and hazards.  Could someone describe it, and
its location?

I have found two identical electrical devices in the engine compartment
(passenger side, near the fuse box)  that look like flashers, but that have
wires of different colors and numbers than the wiring diagram describes.
Also, l have found an unmarked, gray plastic cylinder, mounted vertically
with two wiring prongs down, behind the dash, that has no wires whatsoever
running to it.  If this isn't the flasher, does anyone know what it is?
Furthermore, I have found a small rectangular metal unit behind the dash
(well out of reach) with possibly the correct color wires running to it,
and maybe a ground wire.  Is this it, or what is it?

Of course, when I do find the flasher (eventually) it may just prove to be
working correctly, and I'll have to start looking for some nebulous ground
problem, but can anyone help?

Thomas
computer.