Re: Best Carbs for MG???

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Best Carbs for MG???
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 07:41:31 -0700
I'm 100% with Eric on this one! In 24 years of working on MGs for a living,
I have to say that I've never yet driven one that drives more nicely than
one fitted with SUs.

Weber DGVs always seem to be plagued with the flat spots that Eric
described. Under full throttle they do make more noise and give the feeling
of more acceleration but that's only when both chokes are open - and that's
when the fuel economy,y really suffers. If you drive a DGV on both chokes
all the time, you won't get much better than 15 mpg!

Weber DCOEs, likewise, make all sorts of fun noises when driven hard, give
better acceleration at high rpm (over 3,500 rpm), but also use more gas and
are likely to be temperamental at light throttle openings.

Zenith-Strombergs, during that precious few hours when they have just been
set up perfectly, work adequately, but it won't be long before the choke
starts to act up again. Also, being a single carb, they will never work as
well as a pair of SUs.

SUs, on the other hand, when properly set up, are smooth, reliable and give
the car excellent power and fuel economy. My own 77 B, illegally equipped
with 2 HIFs and the early exhaust manifold, drives very quickly and gives
over 25 mpg around town. I prefer the HIFs but the HS and H carbs work very
well, too, so long as they are in properly maintained and kept synchronized.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center