Re: Best Carbs for MG???

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: Best Carbs for MG???
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 11:57:29 -0500
I'm certainly happy with the SUs (HIFs)on my 73 B! Someone before me set
them up well and I haven't fiddled with them at all in the year that I've
been driving the car (over 5K miles). I get about 23mpg average and good
power throughout the range -- she'll pull smoothly even at 60mph to around
75mph, at which point the stock motor and aerodynamics begin to get too loud
and "floaty" for comfort.
I test-drove one MG with a Weber during my shopping experience, and wasn't
impressed.
The BEST Carbs are the ones Abington installed, IMHO, at least on CBBs.
So far, I've resisted the temptation to go to H&N Filters and kept the stock
cans, even though I have an ANSA exhaust.
Dan
73 B

>I'm 100% with Eric on this one! In 24 years of working on MGs for a living,
>I have to say that I've never yet driven one that drives more nicely than
>one fitted with SUs.
>SUs, on the other hand, when properly set up, are smooth, reliable and give
>the car excellent power and fuel economy. My own 77 B, illegally equipped
>with 2 HIFs and the early exhaust manifold, drives very quickly and gives
>over 25 mpg around town. I prefer the HIFs but the HS and H carbs work very
>well, too, so long as they are in properly maintained and kept
synchronized.