Re: seatbelt recall

To: mkris@sprynet.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: seatbelt recall
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 10:12:51 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/99 10:12:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mkris@sprynet.com writes:

<< If the company was required to replace the seatbelts, then they should.
 Otherwise a simple cost benefit analysis would dictate every company send
unsafe
 items into the market, and only replace the smallest mumber of units,
thereby
 increasing profit at the expense of consumer safety. As it is, companies
bank on
 a low recall number and time. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hate to get back into this thread, but I think there may be a statute of
limitations on these recalls.  The recall is meant to replace parts deemed
defective at the time of manufacture.  Now these cars are over 20 years old.
Many of the seatbelts are not working properly due to years of
mis-use/non-use/lack of proper maintenance, etc.

I think that it will be difficult to prove that your belts were defective as
of the date of recall, due to the original defect.  Maybe a lawyer out there
in list land can look into what the time limit is on recalls.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport