oil filters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil filters
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 11:09:15 EDT
"$350-$700??
That was kinda my point. You don't need to get fancy, you don't even need the
spitfire switch you described, though it isn't too bad of an idea...except
for at least in the B, the oil pressure sending unit gets it's oil feed from
the gallery right next to the oil filter.. ie the gauge gets pressure before
some of the motor does. This isn't ordinarily a problem, unless...there's an
empty filter to fill. You also have no assurance that the manufacture of the
filter you use will retain the check valve, or bother to tell you when they
drop it cause no application needs it "except for a few odd old cars"....

It's just cheap insurance to use a high quality hanging filter. You won't see
anyone with professional qualifications race with an inverted filter, and you
don't see any other cars built with one...there's a reason for this.
We are talking about a $35 adapter and a $8 filter, and about 20 minutes of
work to possibly prevent a serious problem. Nothing fancy, just do it right
and use a QUALITY filter. (bought from a good parts house or moss, not
KMart...)

<< .well if we're getting that picky about starting dry...
 the only way around it it dry scavenge pumping
 ...pump priming before the starter even turns....
 now let's be real here... how many B owners are going to
 spend $300-$700 on a system, when in fact, 1,000's of B's have
 collectively put 100's and 100's of thousands of miles on B engines
 with out them. >>