RE: Oil filters

To: "'wizard@maxinter.net'" <wizard@maxinter.net>
Subject: RE: Oil filters
From: "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 08:19:26 -0500
Paul,

Nice idea in the Spitfire, too bad we can't do it on our Bs.

I have found that the spin on filters with the anti drain back valve are
better than the original canister and felt element type. I got an adapter
for both the C and the Healey 3000, and the result was almost instant oil
pressure with the anti drain spin on versus about 5 or more seconds with no
pressure for the canister. The Healey original filter was not inverted but
on its side. I wouldn't run a good engine with the old style filter.

Your use of the Delco filter seems right on. There is a study of filters on
the net, and the conclusion is that the Delco PF2 is the most cost
effective. The Wix, which is also the NAPA Gold, is the best, but the two
dollar price difference gave the Delco the nod. Note that the PF2 is larger
than the standard MG filter. The longer type  was recommended to me because
it has more filtering power.

You can see the study at either of the following URLs:
http://minimopar.simplenet.com/oilfilters.html is a summary of the results,
http://minimopar.simplenet.com/oilfilterstudy.html tells of how he got those
results.

Jack