1977 MGB-Running on

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1977 MGB-Running on
From: Simon Matthews <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:04:14 PDT
Simple calculations show that it is very unlikely that it is current through
the ignition light that is keeping the engine running.

The current through the ignition light is at most .2A -- that assumes there
is minimal extra resistance in the circuit. Since energy in an inductor is
calculated as I2L, and the normal peak current in a coil is about 3-4A, this
means that, if the current flows through the ignition light and then into
the coil, the energy stored in the coil is about 1/400 of the energy stored
under normal running conditions (20 squared). I seriously doubt this is
enough to fire a cylinder.

So, the problem must lie elsewhere. The dimly lit ignition light may provide
a clue to the problem, but I am quite sure that current through this light
is not the solution.

Simon ('57 MGA)