Re: 1977 MGB-Running on

To: <Speedo79@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1977 MGB-Running on
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 19:36:12 +0100
Sounds electrical, like the coil still has some voltage fed to it.  The
alternator, while it is still spinning, can potentially (!) feed some
current to the coil with the ignition off.  But with the relative
resistances of the lamp and the coil this should only result in a very small
voltage across the coil, insufficient to maintain a spark (otherwise they
would *all* run on.

Some people recommend fitting a diode at this point, which I disagree with,
since it breaks rule No 1 - "It didn't have one when it came out the factory
and it did'nt run-on then".

With it running-on, measure the voltage at the coil and try pulling wires to
see if you can find one that makes it stop.  On the other hand, the
anti-overrun valve may stop the problem, even though I believe its main
purpose is to stop Dieseling.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/