Re: 1977 MGB-Running on

To: "Rich Peterson" <kerry3@earthlink.net>, "MGS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1977 MGB-Running on
From: "teds" <teds@accessone.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:31:59 -0800
I agree, I had the same issue, my po chopped out the ignition relay trying
to fix this problem. I spent weeks testing everything, I came to the
conclusion that it was either due to some electical load present with the
original ignition system, which modern systems, pertronix, etc did not
produce, or a surpringsly large failure rate of alternators, which would
btw charge the system otherwise. I took apart the wiring harness, replaced
every
switch, yada yada. I know some violently disagree, and I have received a
surprising amount of private emails about my polluting the mg design, some
quite disturibing actually.

I have seen referece to installing a diode in msd ignition instructions for
the same issue, and
actually several other places as well. I have to conclude that it is a
inadvertant
design defect in that year, I have had other perfectly good lucas
alternators on my car
which produced the exact same result, it is almost always +8 vdc coming out
of the indicator light terminal. a simple diode seems the most ethical and
sanitary way of resolving the issue. or adding a load.

a diode does add a .6 vdc drop to the line, which does offset the charging
point,
but that seems minor, actually I've never had a problem with that, but much
more so the high resistence of the switches etc.

I measured the current draw of my fans the other day and I was shocked as to
what an old fan draws vs a new one. that circuit needs a relay bad.

eof.

ted