Re: Pinging, compression ratio, and advance....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pinging, compression ratio, and advance....
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:15:16 +0000
Pearson, Tim wrote:

> <snip>
> > and then treat it to a tank full of 97 octane or better.
> <snip>
>
> 97? 97???? NINETY SEVEN??????????
>
> Jeez mate, we haven't had 97 in this country for about 15 years!!!!!
>
> For a while I was getting away with driving onto the airfield and
> putting 20 litres of 100/130 octane avgas in the B, but they've
> stopped that.

Ha!  Tim, it looks like you are living in the wrong State. I announced
to the list that CAMS was phasing out AVGAS and how it was already
outlawed in a few States (on public roads), but here in South Australia
I can still fill up with AVGAS at my local servo.  Actually I fill up
across town because it is 20c/litre cheaper over there (OG Speed Shop
for all who may wish to know).

Locally it is $AU1.30/litre and across town $AU1.10/litre - yes I could
get it cheaper if I went to the small local airport as my boss has his
licence and I could fill up a drum pretending it was for his motorfalke
(or whatever his glider is called)!

I guess it won't be long before they get around to getting it off our
roads here (do the cops actually stick their noses in your tank to smell
if it is AVGAS????) but in the meantime I fill her up once a month
straight AVGAS and a mix during the month just to keep the cost down...
she loves it and is tuned for it.

Eric
'68MGB MkII
(ahhhh... I love the smell of AVGAS in the morning!)