Re: [Fwd: Re: Clutch]

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Clutch]
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:42:20 -0700
How long are you holding in the clutch pedal? Not much reason to hold it
in for more than a few seconds...

The symptom of a failing clutch cylinder (either one) is that you may
have to "pump up" pressure in the clutch pedal to engage first gear (or
reverse) when you first start up cold, and if you do have to hold the
pedal down for a moment (say, when someone balks you at a stop sign), the
clutch tries to re-engage, stalling the engine. At least that is how it
affected me.

You shouldn't have to bleed the cluch unless you've been working on it.
Otherwise some repair is indicated. Your candidates are the hose, the
slave cylinder, and the master cylinder in order of increasing expense.

Your symptom may indicate that the clutch is not fully disengaging. If
the fluid level is OK, I don't know what would be going on other than
some sort of misalignment or imbalance. If the fluid needs replenishing,
see above.

The more sinister possibilities have been discussed...

Good luck.

Carl French had this to say:

--

Max Heim