Re: transmission oil

To: <MGs@autox.team.net>, <mgrepairs@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: transmission oil
From: "Kenneth Scott" <KSCOTT@holycross.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 10:33:54 -0400
Terry,
        I have 160,000 miles on my 77 MGB.  I use nothing but 20W50 oil as the
manual suggests.  When it had a 4 speed synchro I used that.  When I switched
in the overdrive unit at about 110,000 miles I stayed with it. Just my $0.02.
Ken Scott

>>> "Terry O'Brien" <mgrepairs@yahoo.com> 07/02/99 10:02AM >>>
there have been several postings regarding overdrive transmission oil
but...what about standard, three or four synchro?

the manual calls for the same weight oil as used in the engine, such as
10W40.  Others say it must be 30W.  Others suggest 20W50, if there is a
problem.  I have even seen suggestions involving diffential oil
(80/90).

should things change now that our shift boxes are a couple of dozen
years old?
===
Terry O'Brien, RDU/NC/USA
-'77 MG B (daily driver)