Tonneau/Tie-Rod/Hose Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tonneau/Tie-Rod/Hose Questions
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 13:34:47 EDT
Tonneau: I just installed a Robins full tonneau on my '71 B. I only used the
fasteners that came on the car. Does the full tonneau need additional
fasteners installed on the car? I have four left over lift-the-dots. The
diagram that came with the tonneau shows two fasteners up front on each side.
Is one of these referring to the snap on the windshield frame? The other one
looks like it is mounted to the door. Is there a correct fastener layout, or
does one just use as many as he wants, where ever he wants them?

Tie-Rod Ends: I noticed that the tie-rod ends on my '71 B don't have grease
zirks like the ones on the TD. Does this mean they are "sealed" and don't
need to be lubed? I'm tempted to pull the little rubber boot back a little
and squirt some grease in there.

Radiator Hoses: My mechanic put new coolant hoses on the car about 6 months
ago. I noticed the two big ones that hook to the radiator were getting small
cracks on the surface. I replaced these with new ones but the cracks
reappeared within several weeks. Should I be worried about this? I'm planing
a trip to Florida later this month (a 1000 mi haul) and I don't want any
break-downs. Maybe this is one of those parts where the replacements are all
bad (like front springs). Any opinions?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336